Apr 01, 2021
Share this post:
Weeds. They’re inevitable. If you have a yard, you’re going to have weeds. But, instead of chemicals and weed killer, try an environmentally friendly alternative like fabric. As you’re starting to update the landscaping around your home and prepare flower beds, consider a landscape fabric or weed mat to help control weeds. Colonial is your on-stop shop for everything outdoors. Our Hardscapes department has a great selection of fabric. Let’s run through a few options that will be best suited for your yard.
- Woven Black- This material is a woven, geo textile, non-permeable landscape fabric.
- Non-Woven Grey- This weed mat is a spun permeable fiber.
- GeoGrid- This polyester mix is knitted into a pattern for soil stabilization.
- Woven Black- This landscape fabric is ideal dry creek beds, down spout runoffs, and retaining walls. This material is for water runoff, it should be used in an area you want to keep dry.
- Non-woven Grey- Ideal for beds and around plants & shrubs for weed control. This material lets water through so it’s beneficial to be around plants ensuring they’re getting proper moisture.
- GeoGrid- This engineered material is great for areas of sloping and erosion control.
Care & Maintenance:
These products are designed to support your landscape and withstand Mother Nature’s elements. But, it’s a good idea to change them over time as they will break down. We suggest updating your landscape every couple years, so be sure to change the fabric at that time.
- While this material is very durable, it can be cut and altered to your specific bed. You can also cut holes for plants.
- Use clips or large rocks to secure fabric to the ground.
If you’re unsure about the right material for your outdoor project, come chat with our experts! We can help assess your needs and advise you on the right product and size to cover your area. And after you lay your fabric, don’t forget to check out our selection of rock, mulch, and top soil!